Friday, October 26, 2007

I lost something, but then I got it back

Today my phone had a fall
And I didn’t even know
I just got on the train and my day began to go

I walked
I cruised
I searched
And then I parked
And that’s when a realization put a stop to my heart

Said damn where’s my phone
Where was the last place I seen it
Said damn where’s my phone
Gone…and I couldn’t believe it

I ran to the office and borrowed a phone
Called mine knowing well the owner wasn’t home

Click… who’s this?
It’s the guy who’s phone you found
Well that’s great, yeah man I picked it up off of the ground

Appreciate it and need it

Where can I come meet ya
Pennslyvania 2000

20 minutes there I’ll cya

Red light, green light, red light, green
Stopped, parked, and scanned the scene

4 options 4 corners
1 mystery man with my phone
Investigation skills… time to canvass this zone

He was leaned back
Real cool, real relaxed
Cup of joe in front of Starbucks in fact

In my best school boy “can you help me” tone
I said excuse me sir but I lost my phone

He says, I don’t got anything for you so get the f@#$ away,
Shocked I said, “is that how you treat people everyday”…

Real quick in front of me was some 230 pounds
Real ready to stomp my lil’ head down into the ground
Now I don’t know what happened to this man that morning
But it sent me into one of those days that make a life story

I walked away from that guy
That man of anger and maltreatment
Turning back into the world
That felt cold and hard as cement

Downtrodden and disappointed by the way we sometimes act
I looked to the other corner
And saw a man in a jacket and cap

Walked over
Wondering
What will I get next
Before I could speak it was like his gums had hit eject

A smile the size of those dental diagrams
A big Australian voice and one big friendly hand

He’d been waiting
With no reason to wait
He had picked it up
In an act of good faith

I offered him coffee
I offered a quick bite
But with a smile he walked a way and wished me luck in life

Two men
One phone
And the way we choose to be
That Australian man made an impact on me

The magnification of one example is ample to show
Everyday we decide the community we know


Thanks for giving me my phone back Crocodile Dundee D.C. man. I spent some time with Mr. Lincoln tonight (his monument) thinking about my day and our tomorrow, which prompted a Mother Goose style blog.


That little story leaves out the fact that my peers and I had the opportunity to have a Q & A with the Secretary of the Department of Agriculture for a few hours which were among the most informative I’ve spent in D.C.

Tomorrow there is a chance I’ll have to be a witness in case I’ve been investigating for awhile now. Sure I’m a little nervous for the cross examination but it should be fun.

Happy Halloween Weekend,
IW

2 comments:

Kourosh said...

Ian,
I too have read many of your blogs, and apparently I'm not the only Washington State reader either!

I've been accepted into the Washington Center International Affairs program and plan to be in D.C. this summer. Though, who knows in what capacity.

Keep up the good work!

Kourosh said...

I too have read your blogs. Apparently, I'm not the only Washington State reader either!

I'll be in D.C. this summer participating in the Washington Center’s International Affairs program. Though, I don’t know where I’ll be working. Do you have friends/roommates in that program? Are you in the law program?

I’m also curious about housing. I’m sorry if you’ve already addressed this topic as I don’t think I’ve read every one of your blogs yet. Do you find the TWC housing suits you? Or did you opt for something else?

Keep up the good work! --Cyrus