Friday, September 14, 2007

Here's Looking At You, D.C.

From the opening orientation to my first training session at the Public Defender’s Service its become crystal clear I’ve got some experiences to look forward to here in D.C.

Walking into Friday’s orientation was like sitting in the front row on the first day of class; it was clear I have surround myself with a group of young people with a high drive to succeed. I’ve been there before, in an eager and competent group of youngsters, but never in D.C.--where youth walks in suits, and opportunity is a short Metro ride away.

I have met lobbyist interns from Texas, aspiring international businessmen from South Korea, future free trade experts from Mexico, and a Boston-raised Dominican ready for a hands on look at Federal Law enforcement. And that’s just the people in my apartment building.

Looking out from the 16th floor on a sun-drenched evening and seeing the Washington Monument, Capitol Building, sailboats, and jets landing at Ronald Reagan National Airport isn’t so bad either.

A guarantee that at least 80 percent of the time an intern spends in the office is going to be filled with meaningful work (tasks that mean real experience in an exciting profession) is not easy to find. See my last 3 month internship in a law office. I don’t think copier proficient is going to enhance my resume much…

When the assistant director for the Public Defender Service of Washington D.C. induced a jaw dropping silence (the pulsing, I hope he doesn’t call on me kind) during my first day of training with a speech about trial by ambush in the Nation’s Capital, throwing out a string of hypothetical quandaries, it became obvious that confrontations with copiers have been replaced by confrontations with my preconceived notions about legal ethics and a daily dose of high intensity investigations.

With an internship like the one previously described, a TWC law and criminal justice course, an LSAT prep class (payment assisted by TWC), a Congressional Speaker Series, tours of places like the Pentagon and law school applications, I doubt I’ll have any trouble finding material or motivation to write this blog.

*Please forgive omissions of other great D.C. moments...Ex: pretty girls at ice cream socials (don’t worry sweetie, I’m just networking) and booing Barry Bonds at a National’s game (other people were doing it too, Mom).

Writing a bog about the big city is a dangerous job…and somebody’s got to (be lucky enough to) do it.

Until next week,

IW

No comments: